Are you ready for Drupal 10?
Are you planning on migrating and saying goodbye to Drupal 9? Discover the new, long-awaited new features of Drupal 10.
I'm so excited! Drupal 10 is coming to town on December 14th. Ten days before Santa. I was expecting this launch for the whole year. Yes, I know there's been an Alpha and a Beta since January, but this release is THE one!
Let me give you a quick glimpse of what Drupal can do for you, and then we'll continue with the exciting new features.
What is Drupal?
I know I already wrote about this before, but for new readers, it's always great to freshen up some concepts. Drupal is a CMS (content management system). The definition doesn't say much, right? Administrators, editors, and different users can manage any website through CMS and go codeless. Instead of building a system from scratch, a CMS handles the basic infrastructure so you can focus on creating the content strategy. Or sell a product, since Drupal is great for eCommerce, too!
Besides, Drupal is open-source, which means free of charge. It works with modules that are developed by people all around the globe. You can choose from 45000 -and counting- modules that can fulfill all of your needs: commerce, marketing, and blogs. The sky is the limit!
Some of the advantages of Drupal are:
- Responsive design: it adapts to any screen's size.
- Scalability: the servers' capacity adapts to the traffic. It means the site never goes down due to many people connecting at once.
- Security: Drupal has strict security standards. No wonder Tesla, Whole Food, Nasdaq, Twitter, and NASA -to name a few- use Drupal on their websites.
There are many more benefits, but I'd rather invite you to click on the links you encounter through this article or read the related posts for more information on Drupal.
What's new on Drupal 10?
If you are a random reader that just stumbled upon this article, now you have more idea of what I'm talking about. You will likely enjoy the next part of the article as much as the experienced users already working with Drupal.
So - with a snare drum roll with a cymbal accent - let me show you the paramount changes for Drupal 10:
- Claro administration theme: Replaces the old Seven one. Claro is a powerful and accessible administration theme with a clean interface.
- Olivero default front-end theme: Replaces the Bartik theme. Olivero was part of Drupal 9 as an "experimental" theme. With clean fonts, lots of whitespaces, and judicious use of color and effects, this theme is the most accessible in Drupal.
- CKEditor 5: Replacing CKEditor 4, it offers creators and developers a quick implementation with native integrations with Vue.js, React, Angular and Electron. It provides features like real-time collaboration, suggestions, comments, file management, and version history.
- Starterkit: it supplies standard classes and markup without the runtime dependency on a core base theme.
- Automatic updates: this was asked by many Drupalists. With only one click, Drupal automatically downloads the necessary files and makes a staged copy of the site. It alerts you if there's a need for database updates. If you decide to continue with the update, the site goes into maintenance mode while applying them.
Are you as excited as I am? So many good changes are coming!
Are you ready to migrate to Drupal 10?
In November 2023, both Drupal 7 and Drupal 9 will reach the end of life. Yup, no more support. Fear not! You still have 11 months to migrate.
I know migrating from 7 to 9 takes a long, tedious effort. However, from 9 to 10 is going to be a breeze. Trust me.
Keep in mind that Symfony 6 - replacing Symfony 4 - and PHP 8.1 are both required to keep the system secure.
Some tips to get a jump start on this major release:
- Upgrade to Drupal 9 if you still need to do it.
- Install the upgrade status on your dev site.
- Use the latest Drupal 9 release so you can check to make sure all deprecated APIs are detectable.
Changes can be overwhelming. I know that getting ready and migrating can seem like an enormous task. However, we are here to help you. We are always keeping up with the major and minor changes in the tools we love. Drupal is one of them.
We are a multidisciplinary team that can provide you with agile and personalized tech implementations based on open-source technologies.
Awkbit can help you with training, tech partnerships, and development. We offer tailor-made solutions for any need you may have. What are you waiting for? Let's share a cup of coffee and discuss your new horizons. Cookies are on me!
Take a nap, your new tech partner is on the way.